Friday, November 11, 2011

Scary Stories to Read in the Dark

I was going to post my final installment of the one liners yesterday, but I got distracted by a very creepy story that kept me up for the rest of the night.

The author sets the story up like he is recalling memories from his childhood that now make sense to him as a man (I'm assuming that this story is fiction based on the style of the narrative, but I don't know that for a fact). Amidst the high range of emotions and events, the story's lesson comes in to focus: "The world is a cruel place made crueler still by man." It's well written lines like this that lead me to believe the author isn't merely recalling childhood memories, but a writer well experienced in his craft. ...Or maybe I just desperately hope that these events couldn't possibly be anything more than a work of fiction.

It doesn't matter if the events actually happened because it is true in the minds of the readers, since everyone can relate to strange or scary memories from their childhood.

With all that said, here is today's final one liner:
Something sinister from the woods follows 13 year old Jake Tanner home after an overnight camping trip.

Next week I will be picking one of these five one-liners to expand into a whole paragraph (per Randy Ingermanson's "Snowflake Method"). I highly recommend checking out his website. It has a lot of fantastic resources for writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment